Thursday, November 20, 2014

eggnog creamer

tis the season.. to drink eggnog. I love it. I think it's a drink that you either love or you just can't do it. I am the former. I have loved eggnog since i was a little girl-i remember my mom trying to stretch that little gallon between my siblings and myself, so she would cut it with regular milk. I of course would rather drink it neat*, so if i ever did get a chance, i would sometimes sneak a little glass of it and leave the milk behind..

I love that it has a milkshake consistency, it is ever so decadent and sweet, and the hint of nutmeg and cinnamon lingers. And what better to pair eggnog with a hot cup of coffee in creamer form? I love my irish cream and bailey's like the rest of them during this wonderland season, eggnog deserves its own chance to shine as well..[in my small opinion.]

my friend Jeanne had this amazing recipe for pumpkin spice creamer and i thought it was so delicious, i never had even thought of making my own creamer until trying hers and her explaining how simple it really was.  So this eggnog creamer is loosely based on how she created hers. 

I really just eyeballed and made it up as i went, tasting it, and liking the consistency and texture of it as i tinkered. It is so simple, and i loved adding it to my coffee. I let the kids try a sip or two and my son ben said most earnestly, "mom, this tastes like a star bucks drink!"  what a sweet compliment, i 'll take it!!

here it is:

1 cup eggnog
[about] 1 can of sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

start with the thickest ingredient, which would be the sweetened condensed milk. I used a mason jar with a lid that my friend tamm had gifted me with a lentil soup in for my birthday. I did not use the entire can because i did not know how sweet the end result would be. I think i used maybe 3/4ths of the can. I then added eggnog, second thickest. I added the nutmeg and pumpkin spice. 

Place lid securely on top and give it a good shake. I mean, really shake that bad boy back and forth for a good minute and a half, to really mix all the ingredients and to spread out the bit of spice throughout the creamer. 

Once you are finished shaking, remove lid and take a deep whiff at the aroma you created by mixing all this easy goodness together. It should have a beautiful froth on top. Pour a generous splash of eggnog creamer into your hot cup of coffee or even hot chocolate.. enjoy:)

No comments: