Saturday, October 1, 2016

shaina

i like to think of you as my 
quiet angel,
stepping in just 
before and after
everyone comes and goes
no one else 
in my society 
knows of you 
or of your 
theo lion cub
or your handsome kind husband 
with his sharp shoes 
and his beloved ten key. 
but i know of you. 
i know of your kindness 
and service-
[yes eye doctor, 
we call it serving one another because 
this girl here has literally
taken on the form of  servant
and treated me as 
a Highness 
when i am nothing of the sort.] 
she carts me to and from 
appointments
leading me with her arm or a 
gentle hand in the right 
direction
she comes to my house 
dropping off decadent meals 
of roasted beet soup,
real parmesan cheese,
and european butter that smells 
like Paris.
she has listened to me 
lament, 
wrestle,
and pour out every last drop of 
my heart,
offering safety and reassurance. 
we celebrate my eye moving one step 
closer to healing with a 
chili hot chocolate at 
starbucks 
and her gentle understanding 
soft blue eyes 
do not lie that my 
eyes might be 
crossed, crooked 
and awkward to look at-
though she doesn't look away
when i probably would. 
shaina, 
you have been such a 
faithful, loyal friend to me, 
caring for me at my weakest, 
willingly stepping into 
my chaos 
and offering gentle and tangible 
shalom. 
i am thankful for you, 
as i am for all of them, 
the quiet angels, 
but you, 
something about you 
doing this for me
without even a 
thought or a mention 
of any expectation of an 
acknowledgment or a return, 
i am humbled by your 
quiet humble loving kindness 
and please know you have spoken 
with your actions 
the very  glory of God. 

love you. 

No comments: