Monday, December 12, 2016

lost child

i lost norah the other day. 
a terrible terrible feeling, 
misplacing your child, 
panic and fear wasting no time 
to suck the life right out of you. 
it was one tiny moment. 
we lingered a little too long, 
petting the llamas and the goats, 
live nativity after all, 
a learning moment i was hoping for
the Christmas story, 
being so much more 
than a story, 
real life. 
i wanted my children to recognize that 
as they stroked the fur 
of the goat, 
and looked into the 
rugged barn animal's eyes. 
we caravanned our way inside, 
my sister and her children
mixed in with mine, 
we immediately did a head count 
as we always do 
there should always be six
six is the magical number of completeness 
at least for us..
and one head was missing. 
i scanned the narthex, 
the double doors, 
even the hall before us, 
no little tiny norah hidden in them. 
i galloped outside and barely containing the
freezing cold fear in my voice,
i asked the animal herders and a few stragglers, 
"have you seen a little girl? 
she is wearing a blue winter hat with 
tiny hearts on it."
they looked at me with concern and 
nodded their heads no. 
i stumbled past them, 
in the dark, 
tonight was especially cold, 
snow was littered everywhere and only 
a few candles tucked inside 
empty milk cartons 
lit the night.
she could be anywhere.
my heart broke in a million pieces after i ran 
deep into the parking lot 
yelling for my daughter, 
people staring helplessly. 
i circled the building and yanked open the doors. 
i looked for my sister who was 
shepherding
the rest of our offspring 
and i just couldn't hold in my sorrow and sickness 
any longer. 
i began sobbing and told my sister 
i couldn't find her outside at all. 
she remained calm and her eyes and mouth told me 
"we'll find her. we'll find her."
some kind gentleman, i think he was dressed as an inn keeper, 
took my arm and led me- 
blindly walking 
with tears everywhere, 
gasping for air
and said in between my labored breaths, 
"we'll find her."
i repeated sloppily what my 5 year old daughter was wearing 
and stumbled into the 
large multipurpose room where we were 
intending to go in the first place 
before i left my motherhood behind 
and lost track of my daughter. 
i could barely see 
behind my sobbing shaking body
my glasses all caked with steam and 
smeared mascara
and there she was, 
in the arms of a wise man
looking for me too. 
she reached out for me her body 
trying to get to me 
as i was reaching for her.
she crashed into my arms 
and i fell on my knees 
and we both cried and cried 
and clung to each other. 
i could not pull myself together. 
i kept whispering
"i am so sorry baby! i am so sorry"
and little koko shook and buried herself deeper into 
my body 
and said. "i looked for you mommy 
and i couldn't find you!"
i know we made a scene, 
there in the middle of the carpeted gathering room
but i didn't care.
dignity or no dignity
i had lost my daughter and now she was 
found.
my heart was crying, 
my eyes were crying, 
my soul was crying.
my sister was there to offer her grace and quiet peace, 
to console me and tell me it was ok 
to lose my shit every once in a while. 
no shame here. 
it was the worst ever 
and oh how it gave me a deeper compassion 
for mothers and fathers who 
have missing children
and a little bit of their soul dies 
in the waiting and 
in the forever looking. 
i only got a glimpse of that deep sorrow. 
and it slammed into me
heavy like an icicle plummeted 
into my heart. 
my sweet little norah. 
i never want to let her 
out of my sight again. 
she is my tender one, 
like me.
she was just as afraid and sick as i was.
when we got home that night
she burrowed into my bed 
and we snuggled 
tightly for a 
very 
long 
time. 

No comments: