Saturday, December 20, 2014

step[s].

my heart crammed 
in my stomach
as i anxiously waited for her
to meander her way
to me.
we hugged, 
i whispered through her silk tresses,
asking gently if we could
have a few minutes?
she agreed and we made our way
to the stairs.
we plopped down
and i made sure to sit a step
below her
to try my best to convey 
smallness,
my intention to be
non threatening
my eyes and muddled fingers
exposed my uncertainty
even a sliver of fear,
fear of being mistaken,
misunderstood,
motives questioned..
as words avalanched out my mouth,
splattering into the air,
she humbled me and honored me,
by lowering herself
to my step,
her knees jammed against mine,
and our eyes were no longer running vertically,
but horizontally,
my legs stopped their tremor,
and my body and heart were
warmed at her nearness.
her eyes revealed a 
softness that
i hadn't seen in a long time,
a gentleness and patience
that i longed for,
and i was so so thankful.
she was so understanding,
so unclenched 
she listened
in earnest and gentle concern-
the walls once stacked
high between us
have almost completely 
crumbled.
these pocketed 
moments of hope,
fragrant with gracious kindness,
these tiny plods
towards complete 
reconciliation 
and restoration
shine vivid and full
i am only encouraged, 
strengthened
in my spirit,
it is evident the Great Healer
is continuing 
to rectify
what was once broken
and rebuild
it 
to new.

soon we will walk
on even soil
where once 
the barricade
stood.

No comments: