Tuesday, January 20, 2015

hand it over.

she sits 
one leg slung over the couch
her back to me,
her curls lay limp
over one shoulder.
i stare hard 
at the bits of acne
she forgot to cover today
and brace myself.
she does not 
make me feel 
safe,
she does not 
make me feel
at rest
when she is near.
we usually do not share 
words or eyes
if we don't have to.
often times if i do speak up,
i feel as though she 
under minds me,
corrects me 
in her subtle obvious way,
i feel foolish and 
i hate that 
i want to 
cower 
instead of confront.
i think there is a good kind 
of small
and a bad kind of 
small.
this is not the good.
this is the small you feel 
when your words hold 
no weight
you are looked at with 
disdain 
disrespect
and disregard
and there is this air of 
competition 
that i don't even know 
how it got there.
i struggle with grace
and handing it over to her
i don't want to remember
that she is fighting
a battle of such magnitude
she is barely even on the 
winning end.
my heart is trying stay soft
knowing she hasn't much to 
cling to these days
i know i should follow my 
Father's example
and hand out the grace
because heaven knows
He has handed her 
copious amounts
of it already.
sigh.
this is just me 
having a pity party
just for a moment
it's not fair that she gets to be mean
and be miss know it all, is it?
well yes, yes, it is, soul, 
because she is hurting 
and you can just get that ice chip
off your own back, 
and let it melt
let it run down the sides of you,
and hand over the grace.
hand over the 
grace.

No comments: