Wednesday, October 19, 2016

wednesday visits

another wednesday 
r o l l s around 
i have grown not to mind it 
the weekly check up 
of my eye. 
doctor always comes in 
both eyes on me 
he means business 
but there is always room for 
a little laughter
a little encouragement 
a little more 
hope. 
he rolls his chair towards me 
his large machine hung between us.
he tells me to place my hands 
on the small square table
[he needs me stable and still] 
and his hands  
rest over mine 
for just a moment 
and then move on. 
he checks my eye 
with a slow thoroughness 
a tedious care, 
commanding me to 
hold my eye at attention
directing with a 
"look left!"
"look lower left!"
"look down"
until it seems 
 my eye has traveled 
around the sun and back. 
he pulls back after 
mumbling softly 
to his scribe 
who is recording all 
the present developments 
he asks me how i'm doing 
with the drops 
and i don't have it in me 
to lie 
so i tell him the truth
knowing i will probably be 
yelled at. 
of course he doesn't really 
yell per say, 
but i do get a good 
reprimanding. 
it is a wake up call for sure 
i am taking those eye drops 
for a reason 
and just because we've been given 
all this good news so far 
doesn't mean my eye is 
out of the water 
and everything will be ok. 
i am the first to proclaim 
that i am not guaranteed 
my eye back. 
he reminds me of that too-
scar tissue could form on the back 
of the eye 
which could pull back the retina 
and detach it.
again. 
i cringe beneath his solemn correction,
but again, 
my heart is full of gratitude to be 
given a doctor who gives 
even one or two shits 
about me and my little 
insignificant eye. 
i've been coming for weeks now, 
always hoping for good news, 
but ever lingering on the thought 
it might not be. 
nothing is given. 
i am absolutely entitled
to nothing. 
there have been an abundance of 
gifts the 
gentle generous 
Father has given 
throughout this 
difficult season of darkness. 
He is been 
so faithful 
so kind 
and my gratitude only grows. 
wednesdays have become 
milestones.
marking another notch in this season 
measuring the climb 
back up to the light. 
today was 
actually fun-
there was room for chit chat 
we find out doctor G 
has a 14 year old son 
and i like that bit of news 
because it makes him more human, 
it means there can only be 
more softness in him..
and i know his lovely wife is 
brown like me- 
and who knew i could have 
even just a small something
in common 
with my eye surgeon?
again. 
i walk in thankfulness. 
a hope placed in my Father, 
the Great Healer, 
the One who knows 
my name,
and i am humbled 
at where i have been taken
yes, 
to the depths below, 
but oh how glorious 
is the Light! 

No comments: