Sunday, April 22, 2018

you are the kindest man i know, 
i sobbed.
we sat in the corner booth 
at Anna's, 
our three children sitting across from us
coloring quietly. 
you are so gracious, so patient,
my eyes wet everywhere 
as i looked at the man i love, 
the man i respect,
my husband.
you are so rooted in Christ, 
so secure and hidden in him,
that it pours out of your very character, 
you don't think twice about being 
kind. 
you don't have to strive
or prove,
or defend, 
or bristle yourself 
your heart, 
so soft with Christ 
can withstand.
my daughter looked up,
why is mommy crying?
i didn't even know why i was crying. 
maybe it's because 
i see a lot of mean, 
harsh, 
sharpened edges in people. 
i see hardness, 
a defensive pride,
an entitled arrogance 
in too many,
i have been cut into, 
mocked, 
talked down to, 
and chewed up by some of these
i see anger and a 
painful need 
to prove something 
to strangle that upper hand 
and squeeze even the tiniest drops 
of feeling like the 
bigger and 
better 
and it saddens me that 
THIS is more common.
i cried because i am realizing what a 
rare and precious 
gift my husband is.
he treats every single person 
he shares air with 
with the kindness of Christ.
the humility to lift every other 
above himself 
there is no room 
for scoffing, 
for mockery, 
for sharp tones and 
dripping sarcasm.
no condescension,
no degrading 
no need for impatience 
and snide remarks.
this comes from a 
quiet confidence in Christ. 
an ability to love freely with no fear 
of not getting a return
Nathan loves with a Christ love 
more than anyone 
i have ever known 
or met.
i learn more about the 
very heart of God 
through this humble, humble man.
my son scooted out from 
behind the table 
finding my head and 
wrapping his little arms 
around me, 
burying himself in my hair
it's ok, mom, 
he said softly 
i love you. 
and i saw a glimpse of his father in him,
and my heart thanked 
the Father that 
he was even now, 
raising up another 
man after 
His own 
heart.



2 comments:

chelsmichalwrites said...

What the freaking heck!!! This one had me crying!!!! Written so beautifully Jana!!

Bengali Mama said...

wow! thank you chelsea. you lift me up with your words and they mean so much coming from you.