Friday, December 28, 2018

Almond Croissant, a nod to Oxford

i was first introduced to almond croissants while living in Oxford a few years back, my in laws had come across the pond to visit and together, we popped in one of the local cafes and my dad said, "have you ever tried an almond croissant?" i never really had, although they sounded good, i love most anything with almond in it.. these were amazing! flaky pastry, each layer light and airy as the butter weaved its way in between, rich, nutty almond paste slathered inside, on top, and finished with slivered almonds and a fine dusting of powdered sugar. oh my!! dad, mum, and i sat at the counter, sipping our hot coffee, pulling apart soft pillowy pieces of almond croissant, watching people bustle about on the high street and life was good. 

Move forward several years. i always picked out an almond croissant at Starbucks or when ever i visited a coffee shop here in town, just trying to bring back those fond memories in oxford, and it would always transport me back. i would have loved to make them myself, but wasn't quite confident yet to attempt it on my own. i am no baker, that's for sure! crazy side fact: i have never made chocolate chip cookies from scratch before. ever! i'm sure i'm missing out, but i usually find a friend who will make them and share them with this poor unfortunate soul..back to the croissant. that should tell you i am in no way equipped to make a croissant if i can't even make a humble chocolate chip cookie.  i have been on pinterest, gathering recipes for inspiration, but still just leaving them in my sweets board, never to attempt yet. there is a lovely cook i follow on instagram, her name is Danielle and her cookbook is titled Rustic Joyful Food, and she once shared in her stories her version of almond croissants using pre bought plain butter croissants and she proceeded to make these delicious, decadent looking [and no doubt tasting] almond croissants! that immediately reawakened my desire to try it myself because using the made croissants seemed much more doable for me, and i could just make my own almond insides and still get an incredible result! in fact it is suggested to make almond crossiants out of day old, older than fresh croissants as they will be able to hold up with all the extras and since they will be baked in the oven, they need to be hearty! well ok! i can do this! 


Danielle graciously shared with me what she did, recollecting her steps, she doesn't have it written down anywhere, at least not yet, and that greatly steered me in the right direction. i didn't want to outright copy her, and i wanted to make my own recipe, but i wanted to make sure it is stated that my recipe is strongly inspired by hers! [give credit where it's due!] i played around with it a little but and this is where my little almond recipe comes in! 

i sat at my counter, looking out the window, sipping my coffee and tearing little pieces of my almond croissant, and it felt like i brought a little piece of Oxford home with me..

i hope you enjoy this very easy, approachable, yet delicious recipe as much as i do!

you will need:

8 croissants, cut in halves [i bought a 12 pack from Costco]
1 8 oz package of almond paste
2 eggs
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup softened butter
2 tsp pure vanilla
a pinch of salt
slivered almonds
powdered sugar

in my kitchen aide, i creamed together the almond paste [break it up with your fingers and toss pieces in bowl], eggs, heavy cream, sugar, vanilla, and butter. 
add almond flour slowly and continue mixing. 

set croissants on large baking sheet, and with each bottom half, slather a generous amount of almond filling. put lids on and spread some filling on the tops as well. 

repeat with rest of croissants, until all are filled and topped. 

sprinkle with slivered almonds and pop in oven at 350 degrees till golden brown, about 15-20 minutes, just check on them bc times may vary by oven! 

let cool a little bit and sift powdered sugar on top!

enjoy!!

No comments: