Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Masala Rice

 I found this recipe over on an Instagram friend's page, her name is Shubra Chauhan Bisen, and she is always sharing wonderful videos and recipes of delicious looking food. I had this one particular video she shared in my favorites, and finally got around to making it. I am so glad I did! It is probably one of my favorite rice dishes i've cooked so far! It is amazing and flavorful, spicy and vibrant, it brings me right back to sitting cross legged in Bangaldesh, being handed a plate of rice similar to this, something about it tastes familiar and comforting. Let's get into it, shall we? I once again thank Shubrah for sharing this recipe, i only had to tweak it a little using what I had, but for the most part, i stuck with her video instructions! 


You'll need:

1 cup of cooked rice
ghee or oil for cooking 
1-2 teaspoons of mustard seeds 
1 teaspoon of cumin 
1/2 white onion, sliced 
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped (she calls for green chili)
salt to taste 
1 teaspoon red chili powder
1/2 teaspoon  turmeric  
1/2 cup green peas
1 medium to large potato, peeled and cut in thin sticks
lime
coriander or cilantro (i am always generous with this)
1 medium tomato, chopped in small chunks 
1/4 cup toasted peanuts 

In a large pan, heat up ghee or oil and toast cumin and mustard seeds. 
Add sliced onion and green chili.

Sautee onions till translucent. Add sliced potatoes. 
Season with sat and cook for a bit. 


To the rice, add red chili and a bit of salt. ( i just added this directly to the rice cooker.)

Add tomatoes to the potato onion mixture. Mix well, making sure not to overcook. 

Add turmeric and continue to mix. 

Lastly, add squish of lime and chopped coriander. 

Add fried peanuts. 

ENJOY!!! 

No comments: