Monday, July 3, 2023

Simple Samosas

 Today I made samosas from scratch for the first time ever! Well, mostly from scratch, but much further away from store bought or ordered at a restaurant, so I'd consider that a big accomplishment! I made the filling from start to finish, i shaped the dough into the signature cone shape, pinched and sealed the edges, and fried them till bubbly and golden! They looked and tasted like the real thing! I thought i would share my humble version of this, because maybe it will help little cooks out there like myself, make their own samosas at home! I used a package of frozen parathas as my dough, and with five disks in a pack, i was able to make 10 samosas, which i think is great, it fed my family of 7 no problem! I even had some potato filling left over, so you should have plenty of this very affordable and easy to make samosa platter! 

You'll need:

1-2 large potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped into chunks, boiled  
cumin seeds
red chili powder
turmeric 
coriander 
cumin powder 
salt 
1/4 cup of peas
1 5pc of frozen paratha, each cut in half 
oil for deep frying 

1. After potatoes are boiled and softened, season them with cumin, coriander, seeds, turmeric, chili, and salt, stirring the spices into the potato mixture. I would toast the spices first in a bit of ghee before adding, just to add a depth of flavor, but you don't have to do this. Add peas.


2. Taking one half of a paratha, gently bend it to form a cone, pinching the bottom end. 
Fill with a bit of potato mixture, taking care not to overfill. Pinch or fold top edges, and make sure the samosa is sealed. Repeat with rest of paratha dough and potato mixture. Set the samosas aside to get ready for the fryer. 

3. Make sure oil is nice and hot, and gently drop in 1-2 samosas in and let them fry till golden toasted brown, gently flipping them on both sides to get entire samosa fried up! 

4. Drain oil off the fried triangles and set on surface with paper towel to catch any extra drips. 

5. Serve samosas with green chutney and tamarind chutney, maybe even chai, or just as is! 
Enjoy! 

No comments: