Friday, September 2, 2011

Newby Chicken Enchiladas



This was my first time making enchiladas. I was also determined to put it together myself, without relying so heavily on a preexisting recipe. And I feel I was very successful. I want to know I am growing as a cook, and using my creativity and smarts to rectify something completely original! I still have so much to learn ( I hope I never STOP learning), but it is encouraging to make something that I came up with, and it be received and eaten well! This may be simple, but this one will be sure to go down in the archives!

You'll need:
3 boneless chicken breast
1 small can of enchilada sauce
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 brick (8oz) cream cheese
Tortillas
Shredded cheddar cheese

In large pan, boil chicken until cooked. In another pan, pour 3/4 cup of enchilada sauce in with cream cheese. Melt it down to a creamy consistency. Drop in tomatoes, cumin, and chili powder.
After chicken is cooked, shred it and drop into sauce mixture. It should be a beautiful ruddy color.
Grease a 9x13 glass casserole dish, and preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Spoon mixture down middle of tortillas and lay seam side down into dish. Repeat with tortillas and enchilada mixture.
Top with remaining sauce from can and generously sprinkle cheddar on top.
Bake for 25-30 minutes.

May be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated or frozen until ready to bake. A good dish to deliver to new moms with little work for them..

No comments: