Tuesday, October 1, 2013

White Bean Pesto Spinach Soup [vegetarian]

Autumn is here!! Probably a close, if not even second to my favorite season summer, I absolutely adore all that Autumn has to offer. 

Autumn brings me back immediately to when I fell in love with my husband. It was such a rich season of being madly pursued, being discovered and known by him, lots of crisp walks beneath the canopy of colored leaves, lots of tentative hand holding, as the cold air nipped at our noses and knuckles, we never felt so alive. 

Autumn is a reminder to us that there is beauty in letting things die. My dear friend James put it this way: 

"Autumn reminds me of the beauty in letting things die. It's been a full year of learning to die to myself. It's painful and oftentimes a long arduous process. But there is beauty in dying. Without death we would not be able to experience true life. And His death was the beginning of my new life." Amen? Amen.

Autumn, on a lighter note, also ushers in hot chocolate, hot apple cider, pumpkin pie, and soup!!! If you know me at all, you know I love eating and creating fun soups! They are forgiving and accepting, you can put almost anything in a soup, and it will turn out hearty and hot. 

So, this white bean soup is one of my first of the season, my family came over to celebrate Nathan's belated birthday, so I put this on the stove so they could help themselves if they so pleased. My mom sure helped herself:) I felt special because she is the matriarch of soups, and she really loved this one and encouraged me with her enthusiasm. 

It is simple, savory, hearty, and surprisingly vegetarian. A good option for meatless Mondays, perhaps?

you'll need:
2 cans of northern white beans
1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1/2 purple onion, chopped
2 tsp prepared pesto
1 tablespoon cumin
2 cups fresh spinach
2 cloves fresh garlic cloves, minced or grated
1 small bunch of fresh basil, finely chopped [i chiff n' nodded it]
1/4 cup cream cheese


In a large soup pot, heat a little olive oil and saute onions and garlic. 
Add diced tomatoes.

add stock.

Stew for a bit and then add northern beans. stir in pesto and continue to heat and mix and stir over medium heat.

Stir in cumin, spinach, and basil. Let spinach cook down and let flavors mesh together.

Lastly, mix in cream cheese. This will add a wonderful creaminess that does not overpower, but gives just enough chutzpa to give it what it needs.

Ladle and serve in soup bowls. 

sprinkle with cheese or chopped spinach for garnish. enjoy. 

No comments: