Saturday, July 26, 2014

a night to remember.

Nathan, my husband, had left for Washington, his home state, to shoot a friend's wedding, and I stayed behind with the 3 littles. It was a sore spot for both of us, him, not really thinking through all the ins and outs of being away for almost 8 days, and me, feeling left behind and incredibly overwhelmed being a single mom nonstop for such a long period of time. 

It was a learning experience for both of us. We both had to be refined and made small, being a apart was hard, not being fully connected was hard, and just the unspoken communication that is normally very easy going between us, only added to the widened gap that separated us.

during those long 8 days, i fought with my flesh, wrestling with selfishness and feelings of entitlement. I tried to punch pride and self pity in the face, but most of the time I felt defeated and worn out. The children started out strong, being obedient and well behaved, but quickly went downhill shortly after and we all ended up frustrated and tense. I think unknowingly, they sensed that our consistent family life was not the same-how could it be without dad? and this caused them to act out more so than they normally do, uncertain as how to act with this disrupt in our otherwise usual peaceful ebb and flow.

God, though, God. In His rich mercy and grace, stood guard over me, sheltered me under His wing, and spoke gently to me. He did not give me more than I could handle, as He promises in His Word. He gave me a few grace filled days with the children, where i was reminded to take delight in them, and fall in love with each and every one of them, and He sent many from the body of Christ to minister and serve me and my family. 

The week brought me to my knees, in repentance and desperation for Him. I had been leaning on my own understanding, my own abilities in a lot of ways, and God doesn't work through that. He works in our weakness, in our shortcomings, in our admittance of a need for Him. Then, His strength can be made known, His glory shines, and I am left with praise on my lips, and thanksgiving overflowing from my heart. There is no room for the flesh to win. The Spirit takes His rightful throne in my soul.

Nathan and I tenderly, worked towards peace and reconciliation. He was soft and gentle with me. apologetic. He understood what a mistake he had made and was quick to speak with me in humility. He was given the chance to really miss me and recognize that life was much more rich and full with his wife by his side. these words were balm to my soul. I know he has to work. I even know he has to travel-I am not the one to hold him back, but I so appreciate his newly gained perspective in taking into serious account his actions and the effect they have on me also.  we all forget this sometimes, don't we?

Towards the end of the week, Nathan and I were texting back and forth and I was half joking when i sent him a forward of an ad for a dinner and a concert coming up that weekend. I had told him to "make it happen", really only thinking he would maybe get us out of the house for drinks or something when he came home..


I was floored again when he revealed to me that not only were we going on a date, he had a babysitter lined up, we were going out for a full dinner at one of my favorite restaurants, and we had tickets to go see Michael Buble', in concert, right after. He had already planned this well in advance, before I even thought to ask, and I was so humbled and honored that he thought of me. I felt so special and it meant so much.

We had a fabulous dinner at Cygnus27, a wonderful restaurant at the top of the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel. We got all dressed up and I was secretly so excited that I finally had figured out a way to curl my hair in soft waves..:) We were more than taken care of, Nathan shot the wedding of the head manager of the restaurant, she happened to be working that evening, and she only added to the wonderful experience we had there.  Cygnus27 has quickly moved to the top of my favorite eating spots. 


We then walked over to the Van Andel Arena and were immediately hit with the electricity and excitement of the upcoming night. It was magical. We had amazing seats, just a little above the floor, next to the stage that had been built over the audience. Michael ended up singing right above us, and it was awesome to see him up close.  He was an excellent entertainer. Charming, handsome, and funny, and he sang our song-Home and I was on cloud 9. He was so down to earth and personable, I told Nathan we have to go back every time he comes back to Grand Rapids:) I know, i know, that could get a little expensive...

An incredibly blessed night. I was so thankful, so honored, and a heart full from being watered and pursued by my husband. I think Jesus knew this would be good and redeeming for both of our souls. To Him be all praise and glory for being the Master Redeemer...as always.






No comments: