Sunday, February 26, 2017

Vibrant Rainbow Salad w Peanut Drizzle

i'll be honest. i have gotten pretty fat in the past 6 months, i don't really know how it creeped up on me, but creep it did and fat i have become. i guess i should say unhealthy i have become. that is more accurate. i have made terrible food choices and just as bad eating habits and so, here i have found myself 4 sizes up from the usual. i recently noticed my pants that i have purchased in the last year and i was comfortably fitting in a size 7-8 and as i was organizing my jeans and pants in the closet, i found a range of sizes, 8, 9, 10, and 12! How did i  not notice that my waist was going up in size? I just kept eating sugary soda, lots of fast food, greasy and unnaturally made food and not really thinking twice about it. 

that will catch up to you. 

i was getting depressed and discouraged and feeling so nasty about myself. i wasn't really doing anything to change it either, only feel sorry for myself and grow deeper in self pity. i knew there needed to be a change. Nathan and i have been praying and dreaming about possibly trying for another baby and that was a huge reality check for me. How can i house and grow a tiny human if my carrier is far from healthy and strong and dripping in saggy body fat and calcium thirsty bones? [wow, this was just meant to be a post about salad, no one asked for a fat jana confessional..sorry] Anyways, to get to the hopeful redemption part, the past few weeks and up to the present, i have made some drastic changes. at least for me. i have to undo my poor habits, and rebuild new ones, as well as strengthening my body through exercise and physical training. It's really just choosing small steps to a healthier me. otherwise i am just plummeting backwards. 


So, i have been eating lots of vegetables and fruit. that has been quite enjoyable to have such a variety of vibrant colors in my fridge and even sitting on my kitchen table. it excites me to try and use them creatively and see how i can sneak them into my meals! i still have so much to learn and i am far from healthy, but i am determined to get there! 





One thing i have been eating a lot of is salads. i have always loved salads anyways, but i kind have had gotten  away from them. Salads are a wonderful way to pack on a wide array of fresh crisp veggies, get creative with dressing choices-and i know you have to be careful there too-but we're talking about me, here, the girl who adds extra salt to her fries and loves all things creamy and fatty. 

You'd think salad would start tasting the same after  while, but i am not sick of them yet- i hope i never am-and the profile changes with each bowl, surprising me with powerful flavor and cheerful new tastes! 


I made this salad and it turned out not only tasty, but oh so pretty! I love how God created such a wonderful rainbow of colors for us to choose from that are amazing for you! Thank you Jesus for vegetables!

Thanks for listening to my little current journey at the moment. It is not an east road, but it is encouraging and empowering to make good choices and notice a change. for the better. 

Rainbow Salad:

salad greens 
purple cabbage, chopped
1 red bell pepper, sliced
3 green onion, chopped-i use white and green parts
1 yellow carrot, peeled into shavings 
1 small bunch of coriander, chopped 

1 boneless chicken breast, boiled, and sliced into bite size pieces

for peanut dressing:
2 heaping tbs of creamy peanut butter
1 tbs sesame oil
a splash of soy sauce
1 tsp brown sugar 

heat over a small sauce pan on med-low heat. mix and stir until it is the consistency you prefer. i like it pretty wet and liquidy, so i add a bit more of sesame oil and eye ball it 

a handful of cashews 
a handful of slivered almonds
a pat of butter 
1 tsp of brown sugar 

toast the nuts in the melted butter and brown sugar. toast until fragrant and nuts are coated. let cool on a paper towel. 

For assembly,
greens, vegetables, a few slices of chicken, toasted nuts, and then drizzle generously with peanut sauce. 

Enjoy!!




No comments: