Wednesday, March 8, 2017

meet you there at 5.

talking over 
street tacos, 
multi colored salsas 
and freshly squeezed limes
scattered between us. 
i listen 
as she shares
her skin bronzed
her soft blonde locks
thrown effortlessly 
into a pony
she is so beautiful, 
i think to myself. 
and she listens too,
patient and quiet 
as i ramble on and on 
about my weight 
and how i am trying 
to eat more carrots
because my pant size 
has gotten out of control.
i like our cadence. 
we are like an 
old married couple
we've grown to understand 
each other 
the way our teeth chatter
the way we sit in pauses
she can read my 
body language 
like a book
and i can hear the 
subtle tones 
of her voice
like a perfectly 
memorized song. 
sometimes i like to 
buck against 
the idea
that someone 
knows me so well
i want to remain a mystery 
after all..
but more and more 
i find it to be a peaceful
 resting place 
to be known and loved 
in weakness, in sorrow, 
in brokenness, 
[we all hold these things, do we not]
and also in rejoicing, 
laughter, 
and surprises. 
like how she surprises me with kind words
that i didn't even know 
i needed to hear..
after tacos, 
we head to class.
afterwards she lets me sit in her car
and use her phone charger
because my phone is dead
and i need to use google maps 
to find somewhere that 
i've never been. 
and i think with a smile,
this is what we've come to.
this is what 
best friends
do.   

No comments: