Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Salsa Verde

My family and I love chips and salsa. i mean, is there a more perfect pair? I feel as though chips and salsa is one of those meals i could eat every day for the rest of my life, that is how much i love it. and if you are an avid salsa eater like me, you know that all salsa is not the same. of course it isn't. you could sit at a restaurant or eat a homemade batch, and no two bowls are exactly the same. salsa is like finger prints. they all come tasting uniquely flavorful and delicious. we love restaurant style salsa. the kind you find in tiny authentic hole in the wall spots, the kind of salsa that is perfectly blended and little too spicy and heavy with lime and garlic. there are a few spots that i feel like make the best salsa, but a few summers ago and up to the present, i've been trying to make my own at home. it saves a ton of money, comprises of very simple, yet quality ingredients, and you get a lot more than just one small bowl. for the most part, i have only tampered with red salsa. but not today.

today, i went over to the green side. after eating it at too many restaurants to count, i decided it was time for me to  make my own salsa verde. for one, it is my favorite color, and two, it is so refreshing and vibrant tasting, something about it is smokey and heady, it is perfectly citrus and is just perfect on the chip. what took me so long? i should have not been surprised that it was just as simple to make as red salsa, but i was surprised. and delighted that it turned out so well my first time making it! if you know me, there are certain little milestones in my cooking and creating in the kitchen that make me feel as though I've moved up a tiny notch in my kitchen skills, accurate or not, i felt like i moved up the rung in my capabilities as a little cook. i don't know why, but the salsa verde did that for me today.

may i share the recipe? this is simple and straight forward, only a few steps to follow and you will be diving those tortilla chips in your very own salsa verde. if you listen closely, you might even hear cantina music..

enjoy mi amigas y mi amigos.

you'll need:

3-4 green tomatillos, husks removed
4-6 cloves of garlic, [leave the skin on during 
browning to prevent it from becoming bitter]
1 white onion, chopped into 4 chunks
2 jalepeno peppers
2 limes
salt to taste
a generous amount of chopped cilantro 
[i added about 1/3-1/2 cup]

heat up your oven ahead of time, placing it at the closest level to broil or directly dialed on broil. i also placed the wrack on the highest shelf.

place tomatillos, garlic, onion, and jalepenos on a baking sheet covered in foil. place under broiler from about 8-10 minutes. you want that charred texture to form as this will give you amazing added flavor. as well as those pretty black specks you'll later see stirred into your salsa.

once charred, remove from oven. place ingredients in cuisinart or what ever finely chopper machine you have on hand [i actually used my immersion blender and that worked perfectly fine] blitz to your preferred consistenty. add cilantro, squeeze of two limes, and salt. blitz some more.

you are finished and can now pour the salsa in a bowl and go to town! i made my own fresh corn tortilla chips but you can use any kind of store bought or home made tortilla chips you want! this salsa is very light so any chip can hold it.

i sincerely hope you love it as much as we did!

No comments: