Monday, September 19, 2016

doctor yosef

he's a fiery sturdy guy
with fingers sharp with 
p r e c i s i o n 
and a tongue to 
easily match.
a gold star of david 
dangles from his neck
hiding amongst 
olive skin and 
coarse black hair. 
he always always looks me 
in the eye 
when speaking
like an arrow meeting its target 
every time
i know i can trust him. 
he will not ever 
sugar coat or coddle me,
but i wait for the 
tender 
compassionate side to 
slip out eventually-
it always does. 
he sings while he is 
wrist deep 
in my eye 
his tools doing a 
perfectly 
choreographed dance.
he roars at me to 
stop moving
and though it hurts 
my heart 
to get snapped at
i know the compassion is 
just beneath 
and i can hold onto that. 
he pries open my eye 
week after week 
checking for progress 
checking for hope. 
he never makes
empty promises 
and keeps everything real 
as the flesh 
that holds my body 
together.
there is no lofty dreaming or 
pretense.
this retina i have is the 
only one 
i'll ever have 
i don't get another, 
he says solemnly
so we do what it takes to 
keep it. 
he instructs me to 
devote my life to 
two weeks flat on my face,
i absolutely will do 
what he says
because i trust him,
i don't want to 
let him down and 
screw up all the hard work 
he has already invested 
in my eye, 
and..
i would like to see again. 
i am thankful for dr. Yosef, 
gruffness and all, 
for his willingness to 
work on me
caring enough about my eye 
and using his 
incredible skill 
on little me. 
who am i that i would be 
given this 
excellent care?
who am i that he would 
pour generously 
his skill, 
attention and time 
in order that i might have my sight 
once again?
eye or no eye, 
i ultimately place my 
trust and hope 
in the Great Physician, 
yet i am so humbled and grateful
He provided my eye 
to be placed under the hand 
of this 
fiery jewish surgeon
full of chutzpah..
no matter what the 
outcome,
i will walk away 
thankful. 


2 comments:

chelsmichalwrites said...

But but you made me want to meet him

Jeanne Garlets said...

Jana, this is an answer to prayer! To hear that you are going through this tough time with your eye, but with such a doctor is a reminder to me that we have a great God who plans ahead for our good! Love you and still with you in prayer for this time!