Wednesday, September 19, 2018

early mornings.

5:30 am: 
sit on the edge of the bed, 
the air outside dark, 
thick, and quiet, 
the heavy fog still on the prowl
i try and shove my boobs
into a black sports bra and pull on 
a pair of tropical shorts.
i approach the treadmill.
nathan slides out of the warm space 
next to me, 
slipping on his shoes, 
tying the strings by memory, 
eyes just opening. 
he steps out into the fog.
6:00 am: 
i finish up with toting my 
neon yellow weights, 
up over my head, 
down below my knees, 
the air squeaks from my lungs 
just barely escaping, 
I'm heaving, but i don't stop.
until now. 
the baby shuffles around my body, 
eating bits of paper and whatever else 
he can get his hands on.
he normally doesn't wake up 
this early, 
but one of us dropped the toilet seat
[i won't say who] 
a little too loudly, 
and baby was 
catapulted out of 
reverie.
[it wasn't me.]
oh well. we adjust. 
6:15 am: 
the smell of coffee brewing slowly 
methodically, 
the aeropress doing its part in 
easing us into our morning,
nathan slips quickly behind the shower 
curtain.
i do not shower, only roll on the 
deodorant, shed the work out clothes, 
and put on some shorts i found 
that slide down when I'm just standing there. 
they will have to do. 
i scrub my face, 
empty out the overflowing trash can 
from beneath the bathroom sink, 
straighten the towels and rug, 
calling it good with a few coats of mascara. 
6:45 am: 
nathan and i meet at the couch, 
the air conditioner hums, 
the lights off throughout the house 
except for  the little space we take 
on the couch has a lamp to 
keep us company. 
baby still awake, but ready to cuddle,
he rubs his eyes and nestles into my 
chest.
this is my favorite time. 
we sip our hot fresh coffee, 
we talk, we look each other in the eye, 
there are few interruptions,
and there is time.
my husband reads the Word 
aloud, 
it feels like cleansing rain falling steadily 
on me. or is it oil. 
i don't know but it 
does well for my soul.
we pray together, 
our hands laced together.
this is sacred and set apart.
it is this small window in time 
that i have 
never in my life 
peeked into, 
and now here, 
we are, 
resting inside this world 
i've never been a part of, 
waking up before the sun rises, 
it's like a gift of extra time 
that i've never used before. 
it was just sitting there that 
whole time, 
a whole village of 
early mornings 
but no one was living there. 
i have visited once or twice, 
but now i want to stay. 
put down roots in the 
birth of the day, 
i am seeing what it could be, 
what it has become.
7:20a:
it's time to gently wake up the kids 
for school..




No comments: